The contractor constructing the Sellwood Bridge will resume pile driving in the river on Wednesday, July 10, the first day of the in-water work period permitted by environmental regulations. On Wednesday only there will also be traffic changes on Highway 43 related to construction.
- Highway 43 Traffic Lane Closure: Two lanes of Highway 43 will be closed on Wednesday from 10 am to 2 pm between the bridge and Freeman Motors (south of Taylors Ferry Road). The lane closures are needed to allow the contractor to re-position equipment being used to construct a retaining wall on the west side of the highway.
- Summer Pile Driving: Pile driving in the river is scheduled from July 10 through October 15. The piles are needed to complete the west work bridge and new river pier foundations. From July 10–31 the contractor plans to drive piles Monday through Saturday between 7 am and 6 pm. Pending progress in July, the contractor will shift to a Monday to Friday schedule in August.
Multnomah County has announced a major detour that will impact people who ride bicycles between downtown Portland and the Sellwood Bridge on the west side of the Willamette River.
As part of the Sellwood Bridge project a County contractor is replacing the culvert that crosses Stephens Creek under the trolley tracks between SW Miles Street/SW Taylors Ferry Road. Crews have put a detour in place (see graphic below) that will impact users of the Westside Trail until at least early 2014.
Read the full article on BikePortland.org
Portions of the old Sellwood Bridge’s former bents (piers) are disappearing – and new bridge bent foundations are being installed to support the coming new Sellwood Bridge.
“As contractors cut sections of the piers, they’re removing chunks of concrete, some of them weighing as much as 100,000 pounds,” commented Multnomah County’s spokesman for the project, Mike Pullen.
Read the full article on PortlandTribune.com
- Holiday Weekend: The contractor does not plan to work from Wednesday evening, July 3 until Monday morning on July 8.
- Eastside Concrete Pours July 1 & 3: Concrete truck deliveries are scheduled Monday, July 1 for the easternmost bridge approach footing and Wednesday, July 3 for Bent 6 on the east bank. The Monday morning pour could briefly impact traffic near Tacoma Street and 6th Avenue. Wednesday’s pour will require more concrete truck deliveries entering from Spokane St. and Oaks Park Way over an eight hour period starting in the morning. Flaggers will direct traffic to ensure local access is maintained.
- Hwy. 43 Lane Closures: The outside southbound lane of Hwy. 43 remains closed weekdays (except from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.) between SW Taylors Ferry Road and the project limits south of the bridge while the contractor excavates the hillside west of the highway. Next Monday and Tuesday nights (from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.) the contractor will close one southbound and one northbound lane north of the bridge to drill and install piles for retaining walls.
- Westside Trail Detour: The westside trail is closed during replacement of the Stephens Creek culvert. Trail users should follow a detour between Macadam Bay and Willamette Park. The detour follows the east sidewalk of Hwy. 43/Macadam Ave. north from Macadam Bay’s driveway to SW Nevada St., where it turns right to rejoin the trail in Willamette Park. Please avoid using the closed trail or the trolley line during construction for safety.