Patricio Gomez, an apprentice laborer at Multnomah County's Sellwood Bridge project, is no stranger to prison, he said. A gang lifestyle and other bad decisions had placed him behind bars on more than one occasion, but fatherhood and his first son changed his life three years ago, he said.
After a brief stint working with Christmas trees, his father-in-law suggested construction, the 27-year-old Monmouth resident said. More than two years ago, he started his first construction job working at the bridge project.
- Highway 43: Night-time double lane closures are planned Monday through Thursday north of the bridge during installation of anchors for rock protection netting on the hillside.
- 6th Ave.: SE 6th Ave. will be closed between SE Tacoma St. and SE Spokane St. on weeknights and early mornings, from 11 pm to 10 am during construction of the new traffic signal and intersection next week. Use alternate routes such as 7th, 8th and 9th Avenues. Flaggers are used at SE 6th Ave. and SE Tacoma St. to assist the public when construction vehicles enter or exit this busy work zone.
- New Sidewalk and Path Open: Bikes and pedestrians are using the new sidewalk on the north side of Tacoma between the bridge and 6th Ave., which includes rows of bricks where public art will be installed in the next year. The path to the bridge sidewalk from SE Grand Ave. has also opened (see photo).
- Tacoma paving project: The Portland Bureau of Transportation will close traffic lanes on SE Tacoma St. between 17th and Johnson Creek Blvd. on weekdays through July 2. Visit this website for details. This work is not related to the Sellwood Bridge project.
- Sewer Project on Hwy 43: The City of Portland has begun work on a sewer project along Hwy. 43 south of the Sellwood Bridge project. Visit this website for details. This work is not related to the Sellwood Bridge construction.
For week of June 22 (weekdays):
- A daytime single southbound lane closure is planned after 9 am immediately north of the bridge for retaining wall construction.
- Double lane closures are planned north of the bridge from 7 pm – 6 am for installation of wire rock netting on the hillside north of the retaining walls.
SE Tacoma and 6th Ave: One block of SE 6th Avenue will be closed southbound between SE Spokane St. and SE Tacoma St. from 10 am to 11 pm. The block will be closed to through traffic from 11 pm to 10 am for night work. Local access will be provided from Spokane St. Alternate routes for through traffic are SE 7th, 8th, or 9th Avenues. Flaggers will be present to direct traffic and help construction vehicles enter the work zone. Please use caution in this area.
New Tacoma Street sidewalk opens: A new section of sidewalk on the north side of Tacoma Street between SE 6th Ave. and the bridge will open to bicyclists and pedestrians next week.
Tacoma paving project: The Portland Bureau of Transportation will close traffic lanes on SE Tacoma St. between 17th and 23rd Avenues from June 23 – 26 for paving work. Visit this website for details. This work is not related to the Sellwood Bridge project.Read More
Hwy. 43 Lane Closures: For this week:
- Single lane closure 6 AM to 9 AM on southbound OR-43 north of the bridge for retaining wall work.
- Double lane closure on OR-43 (north of the bridge) 7 PM – 6 AM for installation of wire mesh on the hillside north of the retaining walls (north of the bridge). Expect delays.
- All lanes open 4 PM-7 PM
SE Tacoma and 6th Ave: There will be a lot of work at this intersection next week including:
- June 15-19 crews will demolish the Northeast corner of SE 6th and Tacoma to install light poles, traffic signal junction boxes and poles, curbs and sidewalk.
- June 15- 19 (days) - the southbound lane of SE 6th Ave between Tacoma and Spokane will be closed to traffic for road reconstruction. Travelers should use SE 7th Ave as an alternate. Northbound 6th Ave remains open
Flaggers will be present to direct traffic and help construction vehicles enter the site. Please use caution in this area.
Bridge Crane: Bridge travelers may notice a large crane has been erected on the south side of the new bridge. This crane will be used to place bridge decking materials for the next several months. The crane may occasionally swing near the detour bridge eastbound lanes of traffic about 50 feet above. Also, at night, when not in use, the crane will rotate freely (with the wind). This free rotation helps reduce stress on the crane created by wind gusts. There is no risk to those traveling across the bridge.
Willamette River: As we move into hotter weather, more people are out on the water. Please remember that the area around the Sellwood Bridge is a NO WAKE zone. Crews are working on platforms, moving equipment, steel and other components, and wakes can create a safety hazard. Please lower the speeds on your watercraft when approaching the bridge, so that no wake is created.
City of Portland BES Project: This is a courtesy announcement about another project. The contractor is installing about 1,000 feet of 24-inch concrete pipe along SW Taylors Ferry Road, 800 feet of 48-inch concrete pipe along SW Virginia Avenue, and permanent odor controls east of SW Taylors Ferry Road. There are periodic full closures of Taylors Ferry for this work. For project and closure information visit the BES project website. This work is not related to the Sellwood Bridge project.Read More