In 1925...

  • There were 106 million people in the United States.
  • Calvin Coolidge was President.
  • Oregon’s Governor was Walter M. Pierce, Democrat, elected in 1922. He was paid $7,500 per year plus traveling expenses.
  • Portland Mayor: George L. Baker.  Baker served as mayor from 1917-1933 
  • Oregon’s population in 1920 was 783,389, up from 672,765 in 1910 and just 413,536 in 1900.
  • The average annual salary in the US was $1,236.
  • Oregon had 166,107 registered automobiles, up from 23,585 in 1915. In 1905 there were only 218 cars in the entire state.
  • The University of Oregon officially adopted green and yellow as the school colors, although they had been wearing those colors for years. 
  • In November 1926, there 4,468.9 miles in the Oregon State Highway System. 897 were paved, 575 were of oiled macadam, the remainder were either rock-gravel or unimproved graded dirt.

Near to the Sellwood Bridge in 1925 (and still around today) ...

  • At the west end of the Sellwood Bridge is River View Cemetery. Founded in 1882 by William S. Ladd, Henry W. Corbett, and Henry Failing, River View is the final resting place for some very celebrated citizens, including: Portland pioneers Simon Benson, Henry Weinhard, and James Terwilliger; Political figures and activists iincluding Oregon’s first governor George Abernethy; Oregonian publishers Harvey Scott and Henry Pittock; Portland’s first woman mayor, Dorothy McCullough Lee; and women’s suffrage crusader Abigail Scott Duniway; and sports figures, including Carl William Mays and Lyle Alzado.
  • To the northeast of the Sellwood Bridge lies Oaks Amusement Park, one of the oldest continuously operated amusement parks in the United States. Built by the Oregon Water Power and Railway Company (later to become Portland General Electric), the park was opened in 1905 during the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition. Served by regular trolley service, the park was intended to help boost ridership on the electric streetcar lines. At its peak, Oaks Park attracted hundreds of thousands of visitors per year. The park is famous for its floating roller-skating rink, rebuilt on barrels after the rink was submerged for 30 days in the 1948 Vanport flood.