As we enter the rainy season, much of our remaining work is weather-dependent. Last-minute schedule changes may be required. Here’s the current schedule:
- 6th & Tacoma signal: An infestation of ants caused the signal to malfunction and delay motorists for several days this week. The problem, which was not related to construction, was fixed and the signal is working. The City of Portland has added a westbound left turn phase to improve traffic flow on Tacoma St. Police are citing drivers that make illegal left turns northbound from 6th Ave to the bridge. The City plans more signal changes to improve east/west traffic flow in the next week.
- Spokane St.: One lane of SE Spokane St. is closed at times for several weeks during work on a stormwater line. A flagger directs traffic when the lane is closed and the trench is covered by a steel plate at night.
- East Side Traffic Congestion: There has been an increase in traffic congestion on the east side of the bridge during peak hours. Tacoma St. and side streets near the bridge are often congested, even when construction is not occurring. The Portland Bureau of Transportation will work with the Sellwood neighborhood association (SMILE) on the traffic issue after bridge construction is completed. The plan is to assess where congestion is occurring after construction is over, so solutions can be considered. We will share updates on this project.
PORTLAND, Ore. — An army of ants took out a traffic signal near Sellwood Bridge twice this week.
According to PBOT officials, the sign's control signal at SE Tacoma and 6th Avenue was infested by ants.
Workers have cleared the ants and added ant traps, and as of Wednesday morning, the signal was up and working again.
As we head into the rainy season, please note that much of our remaining work is weather-dependent. Last-minute schedule changes may be required. Here’s the current schedule:
- 6th & Tacoma signal: The City of Portland will add a westbound left turn phase to the signal this week. The work will shut down the eastbound left turn for several hours, so drivers will need to turn left at a street to the east temporarily.
- Spokane St.: One lane of SE Spokane St. will be closed at times for several weeks during construction of a manhole and stormwater line. A flagger will direct traffic during a lane closure tonight. Next week the trench will be covered by a steel plate at night.
Drivers who use the Sellwood Bridge or Hwy. 43 near the bridge on October 11 – 12 should expect traffic delays on both days during placement of permanent lane striping. Lane closures will add to traffic delays. The north bridge sidewalk will remain open. The work is weather dependent.
- Tuesday, October 11, 7 am to 4 pm: Areas to be striped include SE Tacoma St. west of SE 6th Ave., SW Miles Place, and Hwy. 43 from the project limits south of the bridge to SW Taylors Ferry Road, including the Macadam Bay/Freeman Motors driveway.
- Wednesday, October 12, 9 am to 4 pm: The Sellwood Bridge. Drivers may want to use alternate routes such as the Ross Island Bridge to avoid delays.