Bridge traffic delays: Sellwood Bridge traffic will be delayed at times on Monday, March 16 between 9 am and 4 pm during installation of heavy steel arch segments for the east span of the new bridge. Delays of up to 20 minutes (including sidewalks) may be needed during installation. Bridge users may want to consider alternate routes to avoid delays.
Hwy. 43 traffic impacts:
- Lane closures are planned next week in the southbound outside lane north of the bridge during finish work on the concrete walls.
- Lane closures are planned next week for northbound traffic south of the bridge during installation of large concrete blocks for a new retaining wall.
Springwater Trail: On Saturday morning, March 14 the trail will be closed under the bridge during installation of panels for the east abutment wall. Signs will direct trail users to the alternate route.Read More
Installation of the east arch span for the new Sellwood Bridge will impact traffic at times on Thursday, March 12 from 9 am until as late as 4 pm. The schedule for traffic impacts has changed based on the progress of construction.
The Sellwood Bridge contractor installed two segments of the steel arch for Span 5 (the east river span) today. On Wednesday, March 11 the contractor will spend the day relocating a large crane that will lift the next two arch segments into place on Thursday. Sellwood Bridge traffic will not be impacted by the work on Wednesday, as previously planned.
Highway 43 will remain open to two-way traffic at all times. Here are alternate routes bridge users may use on Thursday to avoid delays:
- Motor Vehicles: Alternate routes for westbound traffic are:
- Northbound: Hwy. 99E (McLoughlin Blvd.) to Ross Island Bridge to Hwy. 43
- Southbound: Hwy. 99E to Interstate 205 (Abernethy Bridge at Oregon City) to Hwy. 43
Eastbound routes are the reverse.
- Bicyclists and Pedestrians: Bicyclists and pedestrians may prefer the Hawthorne Bridge for the northern detour. The Hawthorne Bridge can be accessed from the Sellwood area from the Springwater Trail.
The Sellwood Bridge is normally open during construction. The new bridge is scheduled to open in early 2016 and the entire project will be completed in late 2016. To view the arch installation, visit the project's webcam.
This news release is also available on the Mulnomah County website.
Installation of the east steel arch span of the new Sellwood Bridge has been postponed until Tuesday, March 10, starting at 9 am. The work was originally scheduled to start Monday afternoon, March 9. More time is needed to prepare for the work. A large crane will lift steel segments that weigh up to 300,000 pounds each and set them into place on the east piers. The work will not impact bridge traffic until tomorrow, March 10 after 9 am.
Construction on the new Sellwood Bridge is likely to slow traffic this week as heavy steel arch segments are being installed.
“We have a very large barge with a crane on it,” said Multnomah County spokesperson Mike Pullen. “You see some of the curves of the arches and they’ll be on the east span of the new Sellwood Bridge.”
Traffic will be tied up periodically through Wednesday as crews install the steel segments which weigh up to 300,000 pounds for the east arch. Installation affects the traffic, Pullen said, because the existing bridge “is very, very close to where these steel segments for the new arch are going to be installed.”