Field Work and Construction Updates
This page provides updates about bridge construction that may impact bridge users and immediate neighbors. To join the Construction Updates email list, please fill out the form on the right.
Field Work Update - May 17, 2013
Sellwood steel at Thompson Metals
Rebar cage for east approach
- Hwy. 43 Lane Closures: The outside southbound lane of Hwy. 43 remains closed nights and most of the day (except from 4 pm to 7 pm) weekdays between SW Taylors Ferry Road and the project limits south of the bridge while the contractor excavates the hillside west of the highway.
- Taylor’s Ferry Turn-Around: Next week the contractor will construct a turnaround in the traffic island at Hwy. 43 and SW Taylors Ferry Rd. The turnaround will allow northbound traffic to make a U-turn in 2014 when construction will prevent bridge traffic from turning south onto Hwy. 43. The outside southbound lane of Hwy. 43 will be closed from 9 am to 4 pm next to the traffic island during the work.
- 6th & Tacoma Work Zone: The contractor has started construction of Bent 11, the easternmost column of the bridge, on the south side of Tacoma St. west of SE 6th Ave. Flaggers are directing traffic in this area during construction.
- Springwater Trail: On May 20 the contractor will place steel plates over a section of the trail on the south side of the bridge, to protect the trail from construction equipment. Asphalt transition ramps will be added at each end of the plates, which will be painted orange for increased visibility. Signs will alert trail users about the plates, which will be coated with a non-skid surface for improved traction.
- Speed Limit Reminder: The speed limit on the bridge and in the work zone on Hwy. 43 is 25 mph. The speed limit is in effect at all hours and days of the week. Please note that drivers can be fined for parking in a construction zone.